If you’ve been so lucky to snag a hand-me-down iPhone, there are a couple of things you need to know before you can enjoy your freebie.
Is my iPhone locked?
There are a couple of ways of checking if the iPhone you’ve been given is locked to a carrier:
- You can simply pop in the SIM and try to make a call. If you can’t make a call, you may need to contact the carrier your phone is locked to, to see what can be done to unlock it. Often you’ll need to be the account holder under which the phone was purchased or under contract too so you might need the mate you got the phone from nearby when you contact the carrier.
- Alternatively, you can check if your phone is unlocked by looking up the IMEI. Once you’ve got it you can enter it into an IMEI Checker and see whether it’s tied to a carrier or not.
What size SIM do I need for my iPhone?
It depends on what model iPhone you’ve been given. Find out which SIM card your iPhone or iPad uses.
Will I be able to access 4G on my hand-me-down iPhone?
Different iPhone models can access different networks and data speeds. Older models such as an iPhone 4 and 4S can access the Optus 3G Network, but if you’ve been lucky enough to snag a newer model such as the iPhone 5 or above, then you’ll be able to enjoy the superfast speeds of the Optus 4G Plus network, as long as you’re in an area that supports 4G coverage and you are on an amaysim 4G mobile plan.
Check out our list of 4G compatible mobile devices to see if your new iPhone is 4G-enabled. If it is, you’ll be able to enjoy superfast mobile internet and improved indoor coverage if you’re on an amaysim 4G plan and in an area with 4G coverage.
Will 4G use more data?
No, using the Optus 4G Plus network will only increase the speed at which data is downloaded, not the amount of data you would use to do the same task on the Optus 3G Network. Since things happen a whole lot faster on 4G, you can get a lot more done – and this is where you might see your data usage increase.
If your hand-me-down iPhone is your first 4G compatible handset, we advise you to keep an eye on your data usage. Here are some of the ways you can do that:
- Track your data usage in My amaysim or by using our free amaysim app for Apple and Android;
- Pay attention to our data usage alerts – we’ll let you know when you hit 50%, 85% and 100% of you plan or Data Pack’s data inclusions via email and text message (it can sometimes take up to 48 hours for these messages to send);
- Text ‘BAL’ to 568 to see how much data you’ve still got up your sleeve; and
- Get a feel for how much data you normally use with the amaysim Data Calculator.
If you’ve got other 4G related questions, check out the 4G checklist or our 4G Support Hub in Help & Support. If you’re simply looking for some ideas on how to spruce up your pre-loved iPhone, you’re in luck because we’ve got a blog on that too.
Tipo - amaysim's content guy