Snapchat’s boom is far from over as it continues to gain popularity with selfie after selfie. But it just got a whole lot easier to share your snaps with the world, thanks to Snapchat Spectacles.
In Australia alone, there are over four million active snappers each and every day. On a global scale, the number exceeds 150 million. It’s easier than ever to share your travel pics, #foodporn and nights on the d-floor with the world, and with the release of Snapchat Spectacles you can take it even further.
What are Snapchat Spectacles?
Snapchat Spectacles are the first product to be released by Snap Inc., the recently rebranded Snapchat. This was the first step in Snapchat’s plan for world domination that sees them move beyond being just another social networking app to a camera and photography company. Phase one of Snapchat taking over the world = complete.
Phase two is to reinvent the camera as we know it and get everyone using their hardware – and they’re doing a pretty good job of it. Snapchat’s glasses are compatible only with the Snapchat app and have inbuilt cameras on either side of the frame allowing you to film or take photos from your own point of view. They look pretty sharp and on-trend too, coming in three colours (black, coral and teal) and with round frames which hide the battery and tech embedded in it really well!
When and where can I get my hands on a pair of Snapchat Spectacles?
This is the not so great news for us Aussies – it’s near impossible to snap up a pair at this early stage as they’ve taken a pretty random approach to releasing the glasses on to the market. They’re for sale for $130 solely from Snapchat’s roaming Snapbot vending machines which at the moment are popping up only in US cities for 24-hours at a time. You can try to grab some clues over on their website.
There’s no news as to when this will be going global, but if you’re desperate you can always buy a pair of Snapchat Specs through eBay, but you better be rolling in some serious dough because they don’t go cheap! It may cost you an arm, a leg and your family heirlooms but at least you’ll be stalking – I mean SNAPPING in spectacle style.
How do Snapchat Specs work?
Once you get your own pair of Snapchat Specs (don’t worry, it will happen if you persevere hard enough!), you’ll only need to get your head around a few quick steps before you can be next-level snapping:
- Touch the button on the side of the frames when you’re ready to start snapping away, but remember they only last for 10 seconds so you’ll need to be quick!
- The specs either take a photo or short video. The camera will light up when you’re snapping away, so your friends will know exactly when it’s their time to shine.
- Post to Snapchat on your phone – all you need is a functioning phone (iOS 8 on iPhone 5 and above, or Android 4.3+) with the Snapchat app installed, and a mobile phone plan with plenty of data.
- Share your experiences with the world (or your buddies, if you’re a bit shy)! We all want to create some #FOMO, am I right?
- When you’re done snapping up a storm throw them back in their swanky charging case and plug it in when you’re home. You should get an epic 400 snaps per charge.
But don’t despair if you don’t snag yourself a pair of Snapchat Spectacles straight away – there’s still plenty of fun to be had wearing flower crowns, warping our faces into pieces of fruit and throwing up rainbows in the meanwhile!