Having trouble getting the hang of this whole adulting business? You’re not the only one.
Whether you’re studying, working, travelling or all of the above, everyone struggles to stay on top of things sometimes. To put an end to the chaos once and for all, why not make 2018 the year you get your life together?
If you’re ready to make some changes, it’s never too early to start preparing your New Year’s resolutions. We’ve rounded up the best tools, tips and life hacks to help you get organised in 2018.
bank like a boss
Got bills coming out of your ears? The independence of adulthood doesn’t come cheap, but taking back control of your finances is an important step in getting your life together.
Next time you feel tempted to treat yo’ self, remember that being smart with your money can mean the difference between financial security and living from pay check to pay check.
Instead of trying to penny-pinch on your own, these apps can help you live within your means:
- Pocketbook – This nifty budgeting app works by tracking your spending habits. You can set up Pocketbook so that it syncs with your bank, making it easier to see your income and expenses.
- TrackMyGOALS – Saving money isn’t always fun, but seeing how far you’ve come can help you remember why you started in the first place. By allowing you to set, plan and monitor your savings, TrackMyGoals can keep you motivated by providing a visualisation of your progress.
- ATO – As the Australian Taxation Office’s official app, ATO can help you manage all things tax-related. Suited to business owners and individuals, it provides users with access to personal information and practical tools.
- Acorn – Acorn automatically rounds up your purchases to the next dollar, and invests the difference in your chosen portfolio.
- Mint – If you’ve ever forgotten to pay a bill, you’ll know how much the late fees can sting. By allowing users to set up reminders and payment schedules, Mint takes the hassle out of managing your bills.
It might take time and effort, but just think of all the smashed avo and coffee you'll be able to buy once you get your finances under control.
tame your inbox
lost documents, nothing good can come from a chaotic email system. It might seem like a daunting task, but cleaning out your inbox can help you lead a more organised life.
Here’s how to take back control of your emails once and for all:
- Begin by unsubscribing from anything you no longer want landing in your inbox.
- Use the archive function to save space.
- Create labels so that every email has a home.
- If you have multiple email addresses, consolidate them.
- Make your inbox organise itself by setting up an auto filter. This function tells your inbox what labels to place new emails under.
A few days of neglect is all it takes for your inbox to start getting out of control again, so persistence is key when it comes to keeping this aspect of your life organised.
master meal prep
If you’ve got a few hours to spare on Saturday or Sunday, get ready for the working week by whipping up some readymade meals. Together with giving you more time to get things done on business days, meal prep can save you money and make you less likely to go out and buy junk food at lunch time. What’s not to love?
Admittedly, eating the same thing day in and day out can get a little boring. But if you can get past the repetitive nature of meal prep, you’ll be amazed at how much easier it can make your life.
There are plenty of easy and delicious meal prep recipes floating around the internet
clean all the things
How can you expect to get your life together in 2018 if you begin the year surrounded by mess? Embrace your inner minimalist by throwing away anything you no longer need (if the items you’re planning to throw out are still in good working condition, consider giving them to a charity organisation).
Even if your life is still a bit of a hot mess in 2018, at least you’ll feel like you have it together by keeping your home neat and tidy.
While it’s easy to dismiss the ‘new year, new me’ approach as a cliché, that clean slate feeling can still be a powerful motivator. For more tips on how to stay focused in 2018, check out our top tools for boosting productivity.