The Best Headphones and Earbuds of 2020
22 Jun 2020
Some people may claim that music sounds better on vinyl, but we can all agree that tunes sound better coming out of bespoke, high-quality headphones, in comparison to the headphones included with your phone.
Buying good headphones or earbuds is an investment - however, with so many options, it can be tough choosing the right headphones when it's time for an upgrade.
To help keep you on the right track and inspire your next headphone purchase, we've put together a quick list of some of the best headphones going around in 2020.
Best noise-cancelling headphones
For people who have too much noise in their lives, the best headphones of 2020 are the headphones that block out all external noise.
One of the best options out there this year is the Bose Noise Cancelling 700. Bose has a reputation for high-quality noise-cancelling headphones, and the 700 looks like it won’t disappoint as some of the best over-ear headphones in 2020.
- Amazing noise cancellation
- Integrates seamlessly into calling and delivers high-quality sound in-call
- Can connect to two devices at once
- Compatible Bose app has some issues
- One of the more expensive headphone options in the market
Best wireless earbuds
- While we love the Bose headphones as some of the best over-ear headphones, in-ear earbuds are a different ball game.
- While Apple would have you believe the best wireless earphones/earbuds are their AirPods, the truth is that there are a lot of other options that are just as good, if not better.
- Our pick for the best Bluetooth earbuds come from Sennheiser. The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 earbuds are here to tackle the competition and if you prefer in-ear earphones, these might be the earbuds you’ve been looking for.
- Phenomenal sound
- Active noise cancellation
- Long battery life (up to seven hours)
- Perform great when making calls and captures your voice surprisingly well
- Buds cannot charge wirelessly
- Might not fit inside everyone’s ears comfortably earbuds are here to tackle the competition and if you prefer in-ear earphones, these might be the earbuds you’ve been looking for.
Best gaming headphones
- For those that more interested in getting amazing surround-sound with a built-in mic for the ultimate gaming experience, earbuds won’t do the trick.
- For gaming, you need something else, something like the HyperX Cloud Revolver Pro Gaming Headset.
- These headphones are ideal for gamers, with Dolby Surround 7.1 and advanced audio control box with DSP sound card included. With sound so good you won’t miss a footstep or heartbeat during the action!
- Very comfortable
- The frame is made of steel so that it won’t snap or break like cheaper, plastic models
- Works with PCs and consoles so that any gamer can use them
- Ear cups sit securely on your ears to create an immersive sound experience
- Microphone arm is not retractable or foldable so you can’t remove it when it’s not in use
- The metal band can conduct some sound.
Best running headphones
For some, the headphones with the best sound quality will automatically be the best running headphones. But for runners, there are more factors they need to consider than simply sound quality.
The best headphones for running need to be comfortable and secure in the ear so they stay put while you run.
Our pick for the best headphones for runners is the Jaybird Tarah Pro, which also doubles as one of the best health and fitness gadgets on the market. Jaybird specialises in sports-ready sound and the Tarah Pro is one of their most impressive designs.
- Impressive 14-hour battery life so you don’t need to recharge them while you’re on the go
- Waterproof and sweatproof—perfect for getting active
- Earbuds wirelessly connect to your phone but still sit on a fabric sports cord behind your neck (you’ll never lose the earbuds)
- In-line volume controls on the cord
- Easy to use Jaybird app
- Some find corded wireless earbuds frustrating or uncomfortable
- No settings to allow ambient noise
Best music headphones
Choosing the best headphones for music is never easy and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed when shopping.
Our pick for the best music headphones is the Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless Headphones. The promise of the WH-1000MX3 is “Only music. Nothing else.” And put simply they deliver.
- Phenomenal sound
- Light and comfortable body
- Impressive noise-cancellation
- Works well as a headset when you need to make calls
- Charges via a convenient USB-C port
- Connects wireless via Bluetooth or via the traditional 3.5mm aux port
- Ears can get warm inside the padded ear cups