What are the key benefits of smart meters?
Alongside the fact smart meters provide amazing real-time insights into your energy usage, here are some other features that make smart meters awesome:
- greater accuracy - smart meters monitor your actual energy usage so households no longer need to be served estimated energy bills
- control over consumption - smart meters’ in-house displays allow you to easily track and understand your energy consumption
- outage detection - receive SMS notifications when there's a power outage in your area, as well as expected restoration times
- remote meter readings - automatic meter readings mean there's no need to have your meter manually read by a technician
- usage alerts - receive messages when your smart meter detects excessive energy consumption
- smoother switching - with a smart meters, there’s no need to wait a manual meter reading to occur, making it much easier to connect, disconnect and switch
Smart meter rollout throughout Australia
If you live in Victoria, it’s more than likely you would have already had a smart meter installed in your home.
Since the mandatory smart meter rollout in Victoria, the state has seen over 2.8 million smart meters installed. This has enabled Victorians to better understand and manage their household energy usage
States outside of Victoria are generally providing customers with smart meters once their existing meter needs to be upgraded, however, it’s expected mandatory rollouts will eventually occur
For those in New South Wales or Queensland, if you're interested in having a smart meter installed at your address, be sure to check out our smart meter guide.